Participatory City Making Lab
The city is ours. Well, if so, how can we make it together?
In a fast-changing world, city development is no longer a straightforward process of vision, design, build and use. We, as citizens, are all called to make the city together. To do so, (new) tools, settings, methods, data and skills are needed.
Join the Participatory City Making Lab to:
1. Think, discover and envision (new) tools for city making!
2. Bring your tools with you to present and test them!
3. Be part of the debate and active network of city making across Europe!
On the 15th of June, let’s talk about, envision, and test inspiring and creative city making tools.
We, the Research Through Design (RTD) team of the project Participatory City Making, like to put our money where our mouth is by hosting this lab, as a participatory city making platform for knowledge sharing between peers and curious fellow city makers. You are welcome to show your tool, prototype or toolkit at the exhibit/marketplace, and contribute in participatory city making workshops, share insights in panels and at the un-conference.
This is what you need to do
Participate without a tool
– By registering on the Border Sessions lab site
– Bring yourself to the Border Session Lab the 15th of June and take a look at the tools at the exhibit/marketplace, test their workings as a participant in a workshop, and discuss with peers in panels and at the un-conference
– Great contribution already!
Participate with a tool
– by registering on the Border Sessions lab site and sending following files by download link (wetransfer) to email@example.com before the 1st of June 2018
1. A photo and/or a drawing of your prototype, tool, kit etc. (max 2 images of 3 2MB each)
2. A short text explaining the workings of it (max 300 words)
3. A story board to accompany the text (one A3, max 5 MB) or a short film/vlog showing and explaining the tool (max 2 mins, NB: send this as a vimeo or youtube link)
– Bring your tool, prototype, kit to the Participatory City Making Lab 15th of June and place it in the exhibition
– Show it on the exhibit/marketplace
– Show its workings in a workshop (of approximately 1 h, let us know whether you would like to do this)
– Test others’ tools workings as a participant in a workshop
– Discuss with peers in panels and at the un-conference
– Great contribution to the international participatory city making tool community!
10:15 background Participatory City Making and introduction to city making tools by I. Mulder, P. van Waart, B. Piepgras, E. Puerari, A. van der Pluijm and G. Gelissen
11:15 pitches of tools/workshops (& choice of workshops)
11:45 workshop round 1: The workshops are held by the tool contributing participants.
13:15 pitches of tools/workshops (& choice of workshops)
13:45 workshop round 2: The workshops are held by the tool contributing participants.
15:00 plenary discussion
15:45 wrap up
We are looking forward to meet you, see your city making tools and hear about your experiences and insights! See you the 15th of June in The Hague!
Find more on the project Participatory City Making here.
The lab is organised by the members of the NWO funded project Participatory City Making project in the Research Through Design Programme (Project number: 14604), led by Dr. Ingrid Mulder (TU Delft), in collaboration with Erasmus University Rotterdam (Drift) and Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences (Research Centre Creating 010).
Friday 15 June
10:00 - 17:00
Universiteit Leiden WijnhavenTurfmarkt 99,2511 DC, The Hague